Saturday, November 27, 2010

Anderson

I have been falling in love with Anderson, a new little guy to the orphanage.  He came a couple weeks ago and it was fairly obvious to me that he'd been traumatized, neglected, abused, something.  Of course the transition into an orphanage with 70 kids would take some time and be a bit overwhelming to a little guy.  But I would find him sitting all alone in a dark room just staring off into the distance.  He was so somber all the time and didn't respond much to anything.

So I tried to start really loving on him a lot, to help with the transition, to help him know he was safe and loved and was going to be okay here.  He fell asleep on my lap last week and has been like glue on me ever since.  He's starting to smile and play with the other kids.  It's making me happy- I am amazed at how resilient God made children.  

I found him crying in the hallway all alone yesterday, and picked him up and held him and wiped his tears and rocked him.  He fell asleep on my lap again for a good hour, and I loved it.  I prayed over him, I rubbed his little head and face and back and legs, I sang over him, I fell more in love with him.  After he woke up we sat there for awhile and just hung out, then I gave him some peanut butter and crackers and banana chips.  I've been telling him for a few days he needs a bath, but no one seems to be giving him one.  Since he smelled like a pig pen, I decided to just give him one right then and there in my bathroom.  I pulled off his filthy clothes and plopped him in my shower, where he promptly had a good long pee, which gave me a good little chuckle.  I turned on the water and lathered and washed him all up.

He was happy as could be after.  He had some fresh scrapes on his leg, so I put him on the toilet and bandaged them up.  We sat and colored for awhile, then I went and put some clean clothes on him and sent him off to play while I had dinner.  Afterwards I popped my head outside and he was running around with the kids, but when he saw me he ran full tilt upstairs to me and jumped on me.  How can you not fall in love with a kid like that?  In my room at night, his sweet little face kept popping into my head and I kept thinking about how much I loved him and wanted to spend more time with him.

Anderson :)
And later that night, it struck me- this is exactly how God is with us.  HE JUST LET ME SEE A PICTURE OF REDEMPTION.  Then He started flooding my mind with scriptures.  What a beautiful remarkable thing.  He sees us sitting there, dejected, alone- and picks us up and comforts us- God...who comforts us in all our troubles (1 Cor. 1:4).  The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms (Deut. 33:27).  Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest (Matt. 11:28).  He prays for us- the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us (Rom. 8:26).  He sings over us- He will quiet you with His love.  He will rejoice over you with singing (Zeph. 3:17).  And the biggest miracle of all- He sees our filth and sin and washes us clean with His blood- Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow (Psalm 51:7).  Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols (Ezekiel 36:25).  To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood (Rev. 1:5).  My heart is pounding, my breath is catching.  He loves us so.  He feeds us- For He satisfies the longing soul, and fills the hungry soul with goodness (Psalm 107:9).  He will feed His flock like a shepherd (Is. 40:11).  He binds up our wounds- He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds (Ps. 147:3).  He gives us clean clothes- For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness (Is. 61:10).  He thinks about us- And Your thoughts towards us cannot be recounted to You in order; if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered (Ps. 40:5).  And we can't help but run to Him in love and gratitude after this all- We love Him because He first loved us (1 John 4:19)In Your presence is fullness of joy (Ps. 16:11).

My heart is so full.  What about you?  Do you feel dirty?  Alone?  Hungry?  Desperate?  Purposeless?  Come to Jesus.  He loves you so and will meet your every need with abundance, if you let Him.  How can you not fall in love with a God like that?

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Melissa for the updates. What a great picture of God's love. Thanks so much for sharing! You are missed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Melissa..you are such a great investment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,
    Thank you so much for sharing Anderson's story with us. We are praying for his continued adjustment into his new family. We thank God you are there to love him. God bless you.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful picture of redemption! Thank you for sharing, Melissa! ~ Becky

    ReplyDelete