Saturday, November 20, 2010

Sweet Simple Beginnings

Hurricane Tomas rolled through and didn't do too much damage, praise the Lord, but it did knock out our internet for a couple long weeks, hence the slow update.  But it's back up and running.  :)  I've been here for 4 weeks already.  Crazy.  It's been a completely smooth transition, thanks in part to Travis- a friend I went to discipleship school with 3 years ago- who was coming out to Jeremie for 6 months also, and it worked out perfectly for us to line up our trips.  He got here 6 weeks before me and is staying at the same orphanage I am, and is quickly becoming like a brother to me and has been such a blessing.  I see why Jesus sent out His disciples 2 by 2.

I'm really happy.  :)  The first couple weeks were a lot of just taking everything in, but life is starting to get a little flow to it.  We pray early in the mornings and spend time with Jesus.  We study Creole.  We go about whatever is on for that day- things like visits to the country, playing basketball with the local kids, visiting Marco's orphanage, market shopping, prayer walks, taking sick kids to the doctor, walking around town holding hands with our street kid friends, Travis is teaching a Bible study twice a week, we spend time with our friends from there.  We practice more Creole at night, we have dinner, hang out with the kiddos- I read for them or play the guitar and sing for them or paint their fingernails or run around with kids on my back.  I read at night in my wonderful little room or journal or listen to sermons.

I was thinking as I was painting hundreds of little fingernails one day, saying the same few lines in Creole to every girl- "What's your name?  How old are you?  and Jesus loves you"- how I will probably look back on this sweet humble beginning one day with great fondness- when I couldn't really talk much to anyone, and could really only show love in little tangible ways.  There's this simple beauty and purity to it.  It feels so small, when God has spoken and promised so much in preparation and poured out such big vision, but I know this is how things start.  It is just the beginning of a lifetime.  God is working.  I am content to rest in His timing and just keep loving and learning and let Him do whatever He wants to do.

Still, the need is overwhelming.  It's a lot to take in and process.  There are so many kids who need love and attention and food and Jesus all over town.  And adults.  Seventy kids are at the place I'm at and when I go to play with them, I get pretty much mobbed by the little ones.  I want to have quality time with one at a time, and it's pretty much impossible.  You give one minute to one, then pick up the next one and hug and kiss them and run and twirl, then put them down for the next one, then the next, then the next.  They need so much love.
Some of our little street kid friends.
I was praying the other day and asking God for encouragement that I was on the right track, am I doing what He wants me to do so far?  Is He doing anything supernatural?  And I came home and had a facebook message from one of my friends.  She was praying for me and God gave her a vision- I was running my hands over the kids' heads and faces and water was flowing from my hands.  I cried reading that and praised and thanked God.  Because that is the thing I do- I always rub every kid's head that we meet or see in town, because I know how much they need touch.  The ones here I constantly rub their heads, and their faces.  And God was saying- He is pouring out living water into their lives.  He is working.  Thank you Jesus.

John 7:37-38 "If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink.  He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water."

My first night here a bunch of kids ran off and I followed them to see what was going on-- a dance party had developed in the bedroom :)
The little ones love running around naked, it cracks me up.
A new kiddo to the orphanage who I'm trying to love on lots, sleeping in my lap :)

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!!! What a blessing to get to read about your life over there and know how to pray. SO EXCITED about all that the Lord is doing!!! Love you! ~Kar

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay Melissa! This is soo sooooo wonderful! I'm so thankful that you're being obedient and setting a powerful example for us at Impact! I know without a doubt that Jesus is smiling and doing supernatural things that you will not even be able to realize and comprehend until we meet with him in eternity! It builds so much faith and causes us not to take a step without giving it to him:) He's so good and I'm so thankful that I know you and get to follow you on this lovely journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! I am so encouraged by your stories and how God is using you! I will be praying for you and God's plan!! Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help support you and these little ones aside from prayer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exciting! Exciting! Exciting! Thank you for updating us on how God is working through you in Haiti! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa!! I love you. Im almost in tears reading these stories. Thanks for sharing all that God is doing!!! THEY ARE experiencing the love of JESUS! They are going to look to you as a mamma and a friend. I HopE to come visit you someday!!;) Let us know more prayer requests... specific.. I m just SO excited to hear the richness of the Lord and his goodness in your life :) Thanks for encouraging us all. I LOVE YA!!!!!!!! Janey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving. I love the street kids and miss them all. So glad to see they are still following you around. I miss them and miss you and love hearing what God is doing. <3 Nick

    ReplyDelete