Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The First 6 Months



This is a video my talented little sister put together with my pictures and video clips from the first 6 months in Haiti.  I have watched it at least a million times :) and generally jump up and down in the living room after.  It makes me so happy.  And something struck me as I watched it perhaps the 25th time or so...  I think this is how heaven will be.

Because this video doesn't show my moments of frustration with the kids.  It doesn't show my grumbling as I lay in my bed in the sweltering heat those nights when the electricity went out, taking my fan with it.    It doesn't show the time I walked past the lady in the gutter.  It just shows the good stuff, the highlights, the beautiful.  There is no recollection of the sin, the moments of flesh, where Melissa was glaringly portrayed, not Jesus.  These are not pictured here.  Only the beautiful remains.  Captured.  Forever.  And set to a song.

Isn't this what will happen with our entire lives once we get to heaven and pass through the fire?  "Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each one's work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one's work, of what sort it is.  If anyone's work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward.  If anyone's work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire"  (1 Corinthians 3:13-15).  The wood, hay, straw-- the sin, the works of the flesh, the selfish chasing after the things of this world-- it all burns and vanishes.  And only the things we built with gold, silver, precious stone-- the works of the Spirit, the Kingdom work, the acts of love-- only the beautiful remains.

Astonishing, really, when you stop to think about it.  Because glory of glories, Jesus with His blood has paid for the sin, if we've received His free gift of salvation.  "As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us" (Psalm 103:12).  "I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions for My own sake; and I will not remember your sins" (Isaiah 43:25).  It is literally gone, covered in His mercy.  And the beauty remains, because of His grace.

A year ago I had a vision of heaven.  Jesus says, "In My Father's house are many mansions... I go to prepare a place for you" (John 14:2).  God gave me a glimpse of what those mansions He is preparing for us are made out of.  The "bricks" building each of them are pictures and movies-- scenes from our life on this earth.  But only the things we built with gold.  The Kingdom moments.  The time you prayed with the crying woman on the street corner.  The time you covered your friend's rent because they went on a missions trip.  The neighbor you witnessed to.  The child you invested in.  Only these kind remain.  And in every picture, standing behind you with His hand on your shoulder, is Jesus.  For it was Him who was building into these lives through you.  Brick upon brick, they make up your mansion.  Some mansions are bigger than others.  Some are just a few stones.  It all depends on what you built your life with.

So enjoy this little video and be encouraged, because this is your life too.  You will not see the sin.  Jesus has paid for it.  And be exhorted.  Build with gold.

1 comment: